How often has this happened to you?
2 years ago
- You are spelunking on Google and StackOverflow (SO).
- You find what you need.
- You graciously upvote and/or leave a comment.
- You update your code and leave a comment.
- You move on
- You come across the same problem. You remember finding it before. But it's a different job or project. Spelunking begins!
- You look through your bookmarks
- You try to remember how you Googled for it the last time
- You eventually find it after an hour
- You move on
- This possibly happens again in the future
Now in the perfect world, we're keeping a programming notebook or remembering to bookmark/tag/organize what we find. If you do, awesome, I wish I was you. For the rest of us mere mortals, read on.
I wanted something that would let me search my collection of SO things so I could find it later. Here's where I ended up: Every SO post I star being automatically bookmarked with full-text search
- Use an instance of stack2rss to get an RSS feed of SO posts I've starred.
- Run a Zap that pulls these in and sends them to my bookmarks (tagged as 'stackoverflow')
- Search using Pinboard Premium which downloads the questions and archives them. (this is optional)
This has been working for me and I've already be able to re-find things that helped me before.
- Spin up an instance of stack2rss. There is a demo available, but I've found it tends to go down. I've submitted a PR so you can 1 click install to Heroku. Click this
- Get the url for your starred feeds:
- Login or Register with Zapier
- Create a 2 step zap with the trigger being
RSS by Zapierand Pinboard's
- Set each up as follows
This has already saved me a lot of time. If you'd like help setting up, leave me a comment below